5 Reasons To Do An SSD Upgrade On Your Computer
Before you throw out that old desktop or laptop, consider upgrading its storage. Whether your computer uses a hard drive or an older solid-state drive (or SSD) it’s probably time to upgrade it. SSDs are getting faster every year and replacing the storage in your old computer with a new SSD upgrade won’t cost you too much, it won’t take that long to fit, and it will make a huge difference to the speed of your computer!
- No Moving Parts, Means Less To Go Wrong – As its name suggests, SSD is solid—unlike the traditional mechanical hard disk drives (HDDs) fitted in most desktops and laptops since the dawn of portable computing, which use a read/write head floating over a magnetic platter, there are no moving parts.
- SSD’s are Much, Much Faster – Not only are SSDs more robust, and quieter, it also means its read and write times are much quicker—depending on the solid state medium these drives can boot up to five times faster and copy files three to four times faster. With no mechanical movements to make or wait for, everything speeds up. And technology is always improving, so a SSD upgrade from today could be twice as fast as an SSD purchased even just four years ago.
- High Quality and Built to Last – SSDs are most commonly built with flash, (also known as NAND storage), just like USB sticks and smartphones—though the type and configuration of the flash storage depends on the use case. So while a USB stick and an SSD might both qualify as flash memory, the SSD will typically use higher quality modules, with better performance, and have a more sophisticated setup to handle the demands of holding an entire OS.
- Upgrading Is Quick and Easy – Choosing an SSD upgrade for your laptop or desktop is actually pretty straightforward, because you’re going to be limited by your existing system’s setup. We can help you identify the motherboard inside your laptop or desktop, and you can then work out which SSDs that are going to fit and run happily alongside them!
- Transferring Your OS and Data is Easy – As long as your hard drive is in good condition we can simply “ghost” (make an exact copy) your exact setup currently on your computer now to the new SSD hard drive. Even if there is an issue with your current hard drive we are experts in data retrieval and should be able to get your data transferred without any problems!
What we mainly want to get across is the difference an SSD upgrade can make to a computer you would otherwise give up on as too slow to do anything with: Desktops or laptops around five years old are the sweet spot, because otherwise the other internal components might struggle to keep up with your new blazing fast SSD. You can even give your games console a boost with an SSD.
Even if you’re not using the laptop or desktop as your main machine any more, you can still repurpose it as a laptop for the kids, or as a handy computer for the road, or as a media center serving the rest of the house with music and video.
If you’d like to do an SSD upgrade and make your computer run like new, call us today at 928-775-5475 or 928-445-6700!