3 Free Tools for Computer Protection and Upkeep
A good antivirus program should get rid of existing malware and will prevent malicious software from infecting your computer in the first place and steer you away from bad websites.
Microsoft Security Essentials (Windows 7)/Windows Defender (Windows 8 and beyond):
Built in to your Windows Platform is Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender, an anti-virus tune-up tool that is easy to us and can help keep your computer clean! It offers:
- Real-time protection against spyware, viruses, rootkits, and other malicious software
- Online system scanning and cleaning
- Dynamic signature service
- Offline system scanning and cleaning
- Enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits
But malware and viruses are as old as the personal computer – and just as enduring.
Thus the use of the other two tune-up tools which can help clean your computer once it’s been infected.
Malwarebytes is a next-generation antivirus replacement. Malwarebytes is the first of its kind for home users, employing four independent technology modules
- anti-exploit and
- malicious website protection
to block and remove both known and unknown threats, perfect for a tune-up!
CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your PC. It protects your privacy and makes your computer faster and more secure! It boasts of:
- Faster Computer – Is your computer running slow? As it gets older it collects unused files and settings which take up hard drive space making it slower and slower. CCleaner cleans up these files and makes it faster instantly.
- Safer Browsing – Advertisers and websites track your behavior online with cookies that stay on your computer. CCleaner erases your browser search history and cookies so any internet browsing you do stays confidential and your identity remains anonymous.
- Quicker Startup – Many programs run silently in the background when you start up your computer. CCleaner helps you get to work, or play faster by letting you disable unneeded programs.